Case Study Karna Paints
- RATIONAL: The plant has a capacity of only 6 m3/day consisting of Premix tank, three stage aeration and three stage Settler followed by Filtration System. The Company is manufacturing polyester resin and the raw materials used for production of polyester resin are as follows:
- PTA (Puri Died Terephthalic Acid)
- Glycols (viz., Neo pentyl Glycol, Mono Ethylene Glycol, Mono Propylene Diol, Trimethylol Propane etc.)
- IPA (Isophthalic acid)
- TMA (Trimellitic Anhydride)
- TPPN (Triphenyl Phosphine)
- Organo Tin compound
The basic reaction process is esteriDication between Diacid (PTA, IPA or TMA) with Diols (NPG, MEG, MPD or TMP) followed by polymerisation of the ester. During esteri Dication reaction water is collected from the reaction vessel by column condensation which is mainly theef Dluent water. After completion of esteri Dication process, polymerisation takes place by applying vacuum through the column condenser at more or less 200°C.
Hence the following chemicals are present in the efDluent water during the whole process and have very strong chemical odour and hard to break down.
- Acid component
- Ester, Low molecular weight polymer of the ester
- Organo Tin compound etc.
The initial BOD and COD values were 25,000 ppm and 11,000ppm respectively.
The plant was running with no appreciable load reduction. The management tried their level best to commission the plant, but were unable to maintain proper biological system.
Finally, they requested Clover to take up the challenge of managing the complicated waste water with the help of our ‘Engineered Bio-Solutions’.
INITIAL CONDITION OF THE PLANT WITHOUT ANY BACTERIAL GROWTH
2. CLOVER’S OBJECTIVES:
a. Ensure proper reduction of load in the plant within the existing plant with minor changes. Target BOD < 30 and COD < 250
3. METHODOLOGY USED BY CLOVER:
a. As per our calculations the air volume was less and air distribution system was not proper. Thus, the right environment was created for proper maintenance of aerobic condition.
b. The total waste generation from the process was 2000lit per day at the time we took over the plant. We diluted the raw efDluent with 50% fresh water and our product NatureVel®-MB.We started slow feeding of the premix, while observing the behaviour of added culture.
c. Initially it took very longer period for acclimation of the bacteria and then gradually load reduction started taking place. The condition of Aeration chamber with respect to foam formation is shown below.
THE CONDITION OF AERATION TANK DURING STABILISATION
d. The objective was achieved within 120 days. The results shown below by graphical representation.
4. OUTCOME: It is observed that we are consistently getting the COD reduction of 98.3% and
maintaining and SV30 of 20-‐25%. There was tremendous foul odour before bio-augmentation and it is suppressed after bio-augmentation.